Die Schönste Krankheit des Weltalles

Mr. Murphy Says It Better

Acknowledgements

sábado, 26 de abril de 2008

My Lucky Number's 23


As I type this I am aware that St George's Day took place three days ago, since it is a national holiday in many countries, such as Catalonia, England, some provinces of Northern Italy, and a plenty of East European countries --when I saw this Saint's image on the coat of arms of Moscow City, I was quite amazed, indeed. Never thought that such holy knight would have had such a widespread fame.

On such a day I decided to kind of celebrate it, though I did not have any idea of how I should've done it, since I've never been so fond of my ancestry's heritage. Just for a change I went to see Anton Corbijn's Control, which I was long since looking forward to see. It's flawless photography and memorable soundtrack, however, did not amount to make it the most amazing picture ever. Though I don't mean it is a bad film, quite the opposite, but it could have been far better, indeed. This movie, nevertheless, is a "must" for everyone who brags of being a Rock connoiseur. Its commercial success in this zone, unfortunately, did not seem to go beyond the "alternative" taste, so that only few cinemas played it for only a few weeks. I'm glad I managed to see it before its deadline.

Yet, it is no wonder that certain coincidences came out during such a day, even if they primarily sound quite shallow: April 23rd is one of England's scant national holidays (Protestants don't worship any kind of saint, though.) Even more interesting strikes the fact that St. George has, not so long since, been removed from Catholic calendar, since there is no evidence whatsoever that may prove St. George's existence on earth. The tradition, yet, still abides. One interesting fact is that legendary frontman Ian Curtis performed his finale aged 23. Corbijn shows both respect and refinement enough by describing it through a series of camera shots and sound effects and, therefore, he must be given his due. Plus the cathartic emotional waterfall that unleashes the wonderful "Atmosphere," Joy Division's best track ever. As the film was over I started to ponder on number 23 due to the special date and Curtis's age, since I will turn 23 on September 23rd. These facts taken all together keep reminding me that I should do something worth remembering before something else happens.

Unfortunately I forgot to buy red roses for the ladies I know...

1 comentario:

Memo de León dijo...

Sí... quizás debes hacer algo importante antes de cumplir 23 el 23 de septiembre. O quizás deberías dejar de pensar tanto, Jordano. =P

Still Life



Lyrics: Joakim Montelius